This powerful tool combines:
1. Measurement results from PMDS in the form (DGD, 2nd-order PMD, Penalty)
2. PMD dynamics corresponding to a mean fiber PMD, <τ>
3. Allowable system PMD margin.
The OPC is calculated by applying our PMD random-walk model, for a fiber with PMD <τ> to the PMDS-measured transponder tolerance data. Each time the
random walk enters the region beyond the PMD margin an outage is started (red arrows). The calculation simulates over 1,000,000 PMD steps (>100 years of PMD dynamics) to calculate:
1. Total Outage Probability (time/year)
2. Mean number of PMD Outages/year
3. PMD Outage Duration (statistics)
4. Time between PMD Outages (statistics)
Key Applications & Benefits
– Simple, straightforward quantities for the performance degradation for any fiber <τ> .
– Quantitatively optimize PMD mitigation or EDC algorithm.
– Compare PMD tolerance of different modulation formats.
– Take the system data once, and use the NRT-OPC to calculate performance in any situation.
– Enables route engineering & span design for carriers.
– Enables system design by the equipment manufacturers by adjusting the allowable margins for each wavelength channel.